Aktualisiert: 12. Dez 2019
'tis the season! With Christmas less than 2 weeks away and New Year's around the corner - are you feeling the end of the year overwhelm yet? In spite of the festive mood this time of the year tends to be hectic and stressful. We’ve been pushing ourselves hard. We’ve been doing our best to reach our goals, while balancing all the unexpected challenges on top. And now we're trying to make it all happen and finish off everything until the end of the year.
The pressure to keep going and then feeling there is not enough time coupled with end-of-the year exhaustion and viruses is loudly calling for you to take care of yourself. First of all, refuse to buy into time scarcity mentality. There is enough time!
I have put a little yoga sequence for you together that will help you recharge and keep your the calm. Take the time to do several or just one pose. If you choose to do one pose take baddha konasana (pic 1) or shavasana (pic 6) and hold ideally for 20 min. The other asanas 5-10 minutes. Set a timer. If you don't have all the props, be creative, help yourself with blankets and pillows that you already have at home. Breathe slowly and deeply, and allow yourself to relax and let go.
Another 5 simple things to do in order to avoid the overwhelm, post-Christmas parties blues and meltdowns at family dinners:
1. Eat well. I know it's hard during this season but please GO EASY ON SUGAR. It's all about the blood sugar balance. Don’t let all of the sugar (also alcohol) and treats of the season mess with your hormones and leave you feeling tired and cranky
2. Meditate every day until New Year's at least 5 minutes a day. You have these 5 minutes! (see scarcity mentality above :)
3. Oil, oil, oil. Take a bath oil with warm sesame oil or an ayurvedic abhyanga oil from your head to your toes. Every day until you feel more at ease. Then once a week. This keeps the skin from drying, keeps your joints lubricated and calms the nervous system. You will love its soothing effect.
4. Take a hot bath with a few drops of essential oils: My favorite mix is lavender & geranium oil, add Epsom salt or sea salt. Heaven!
5. Go early to bed whenever you can. There is just something magical about that sleep around 10.30pm.
photos: Felix Krammer https://www.felixyoga.de for @yoga journal germany